- In El Salvador, the 2021 homicide rate per 100,000 population was the lowest registered in the last decade.
- In 2021, the downward trend in violent deaths of women reversed for the first time since 2016
- Feminicide rose by seven victims with respect to the previous year
- Male homicide registered a 15.2% decrease, but female victims of homicidal violence increased by 1.5%
- Almost seven in ten homicides were committed with a firearm
- Some 24 municipalities accounted for over 50% of homicides in 2021
- One in two victims of homicide was registered in the departments of San Salvador, La Libertad and Sonsonate.
- Reported cases of disappearance increased by 18.9% more than in 2020. The upturn was sharper among females (26.2%) than males (15.1%). 47.5% of these cases involved people under 25 years of age.
- Reports of sexual violence increased by 30.3% in relation to 2020. 90% of the victims were female.
- Every day there were four reports of intrafamily violence, for a 15.1% increase. Nine in ten victims were women and girls.
Sources: Working Group on Homicide Facts and Figures (2010-2021), DIGESTYC (now BCR), PNC-UAIP, FGR
Summary of the State of Citizen Security in El Salvador 2022
This document presents a brief analysis on homicidal violence with the main findings in 2022.
Violence agaisnt women and girls throughout the life cycle in El Salvador 2021
The following infographic shows an analysis of violence against women differentiated throughout the life cycle for the year 2021 in El Salvador. It includes data on domestic violence, sexual…
Homicidal Violence El Salvador, January to March 2022
Este documento presenta un breve análisis en materia de violencia homicida con los principales hallazgos de enero a marzo de 2022. Toma como fuente datos de la Mesa Técnica de Homologación de…
Homicidal Violencia in El Salvador 2021
This document presents a brief preliminary analysis on homicidal violence with the main findings in 2021. It takes as a source information obtained from preliminary data provided by PNC,FGR,…
Violence against women, El Salvador 2020
The following infographic presents an analysis of violence against women differentiated throughout the life cycle for the year 2020 in El Salvador. It includes advances…